could not find capabilities for arch=x86_64 domaintype=kvm

shafnamol N shafnamol29 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:13:55 UTC 2021

 Hi,
I am new  to Libvirt and Qemu.I have installed Libvirt 6.10 and qemu-kvm
4.2.0 on CentOS8.
I configured and built libvirt based on instructions from
https://libvirt.org/compiling.html.
But when i tried to create a VM using virsh it shows the following error:
*# virsh create /home/abc.xml*

*error: Failed to create domain from /home/abc.xmlerror: invalid argument:
could not find capabilities for arch=x86_64 domaintype=kvm *
When i check the hypervisor capabilities ,it doest show qemu in guest
domain type.
# virsh capabilities
As per the reply from this mailing-list i passed an option while building
the libvirt.
ie.,

*meson build -Dsystem=true*

It worked for me.

But Now, i tried to migrate my work on a new machine with same os and
same version as above.

As part of,I configured and built libvirt.Also passed *meson build
-Dsystem=true *while building libvirt.

After installation I tried with

*# virsh create /home/abc.xml*

It results in the same error shown below.

*error: Failed to create domain from /home/abc.xmlerror: invalid argument:
could not find capabilities for arch=x86_64 domaintype=kvm *
I stuck here.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Shafnamol.N