internal error: Network is already in use by interface virbr0

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Sep 17 11:11:29 UTC 2021

HI!

I'm using libvirt 7.7.0 on openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Until recently everything just worked. But now my virtual NAT network is
not usable anymore.

Starting a VM I get this error:

# virsh start ae-dir-suse-p1
error: Failed to start domain 'ae-dir-suse-p1'
error: Requested operation is not valid: network 'vnet1' is not active

Manually starting the network does not work either:

# virsh net-start vnet1
error: Failed to start network vnet1
error: internal error: Network is already in use by interface virbr0

In syslog I find:

libvirtd: 6325: error : networkCheckRouteCollision:296 : internal error:
Network is already in use by interface virbr0

What does that mean? Where to look for a config error?

Ciao, Michael.