Network interface element not working

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:28:49 UTC 2022

On 4/4/22 21:10, Laine Stump wrote:
> That's not what the <interface> element in a <network> is used for. It's
> actual use is (in my opinion) not all that useful, which has led to
> people assuming other functionality for it that doesn't exist.

Ah.  Thanks for clarifying that.

> Anyway, if you want to have a bridge device that is directly attached to
> a physical ethernet, then you should set up a bridge in the host OS
> outside the scope of libvirt, with the physical ethernet attached to it,
> and then configure your libvirt guests to use that bridge with, e.g.

That is how I normally do things.  In this case, I'm "piggy backing" on
a pre-existing automation setup that uses libvirt to set up the bridges.
I'm using a hook script to add the physical interface to the bridge when
the virtual network is started, which seems to be working.

Thanks!