How to make the libvirt VM installed under the regular user boot during the system bootup?

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 09:15:04 UTC 2022

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:09:36PM +0200, Martin T wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I installed a virtual machine under a regular user(in other words, not
>under root user) with virt-install and configured this VM to boot
>automatically:
>
>$ virsh dominfo vm
>Id:             1
>Name:           vm
>UUID:           eef95dd6-5efe-4059-8dcc-3e35db12f55d
>OS Type:        hvm
>State:          running
>CPU(s):         4
>CPU time:       253.7s
>Max memory:     4194304 KiB
>Used memory:    4194304 KiB
>Persistent:     yes
>Autostart:      enable
>Managed save:   no
>Security model: none
>Security DOI:   0
>
>$ ls -l /home/user/.config/libvirt/qemu/autostart/
>total 0
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 47 Apr 30 16:59 vm.xml ->
>/home/user/.config/libvirt/qemu/vm.xml
>$

This is still using the session daemon, which only starts when you
connect to it or when you log in with the session daemon service setup
to start automatically.

There are two ways to overcome this.  One is to use the system daemon
instead (virsh -c qemu:///system) which you can also set as your default
for example by setting uri_default = "qemu:///system" in
~/.config/libvirt/libvirt.conf and there are other means as well.

If you are running a system with systemd then you can also setup
lingering for your user (loginctl enable-linger <your-user>) as that
would enable running the user services even without being logged in.