macvtap with disconnected physical interface

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed May 4 07:24:25 UTC 2022

Il 2022-05-04 00:03 Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
> well this is kind of by design. if we don't force guest's link
> down it will think it can access internet, with all packets
> being lost.

I understand. But in my opinion, inter-guest communication should be
preserved because:
a) this is how the classical bridge mode works;
b) modern guest have internal checks for internet connection;
c) guest-to-guest communication should not be impaired by (lack of)
internet access.

> I see how you might want that in some cases - maybe we
> should consider an option to disable this behaviour.

It would be great - especially as default behavior.
In the meantime, do we have some virsh command (or libvirt xml snippet)
to work around the issue, rather than messing with "ip link protodown
off"?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan