Updating domains definitions via API

Darragh Bailey daragh.bailey at gmail.com
Tue May 17 07:29:17 UTC 2022

On Mon 16 May 2022, 14:32 Michal Prívozník, <mprivozn at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 5/16/22 14:52, Darragh Bailey wrote:
>
> > So perhaps this is less a bug with the loader/nvram XML element handling
> > and more a documentation bug and a possible enhancement that possibly
> > the virDomainDefineXMLFlags could consider accepting a flag to verify the
> > returned domain XML is equivalent as a general fix for those applications
> > that would find this useful?
>
> Yes to the first part, but no the second. Comparing XMLs is not as easy
> as you would think. For instance:
>
> <domain id='1' type='kvm'>
>   <uuid>123456</uuid>
>   <name>myGuest</name>
> </domain>
>
> <domain type='kvm' id='1'>
>   <name>myGuest</uuid>
>   <uuid>123456</uuid>
> </domain>
>
> The former is just an example of possible user input, the latter is how
> libvirt would format it. Obviously, these XMLs are equivalent, but not
> stcmp() equal.

I'm familiar with the fun of checking for equivalence, I was hoping that as
libvirt was working with XML it might already be using a library that could
handle this. A quick look at libxml2 suggests it's been left up to the
consumer to implement.

So each project that becomes aware of this behaviour will have to find a
library to do the comparison or implement it directly themselves.
--
Darragh Bailey