which daemon/service for live migration - ?

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 10:49:09 UTC 2023

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 10:15:00 +0000, Marc wrote:

> > With this relatively new modular approach in libvirt - which service is
> > needed in order to migrate guests via tcp?
> >

> I am not sure what you mean with 'new modular'. I am still on el7 going to el9 this year. I am doing live migrations just with these.
>
> libvirtd.service                              enabled

'libvirtd' was separated into specific sub-daemons for specific object
or hypervisor:

 - hypervisor drivers:
   - virtqemud - for managing qemu machines
   - virtlxcd - for lxc
   - ... for all other hypervisor drivers...
 - network driver
    - virtnetworkd
 - storage driver
    - virtstoraged
 - secret driver
    - virtsecretd

etc...

If you are running modular daemons you then don't use 'libvirtd' at all,
but rather the client library communicates with the appropriate daemon
based on the object type.