which daemon/service for live migration - ?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 12:24:32 UTC 2023

On 17/04/2023 12:27, Peter Krempa wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 08:54:57 +0200, lejeczek wrote:
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> With this relatively new modular approach in libvirt - which service is
>> needed in order to migrate guests via tcp?
> There is nothing special needed for migration when compared to running a
> VM.
>
> With new daemons you need 'virtqemud' to manage the VM and optionally
> 'virtnetworkd' if the VM uses libvirt-managed networks, 'virtstoraged'
> if it uses libvirt managed storage, and/or 'virtsecretd' if it uses
> secrets storage.
>
> Configuration of daemon options moved to the appropriate per-daemon
> config file.

I have a feeling - have not tested all thoroughly - that
specific modules/daemons need to be up & running for
specific methods of transportation.
Say..
migration with 'qemu+tls' fails if receiving node does not
have 'virtproxyd-tls.socket' up&running,
even though 'virtproxyd.socket' & 'virtqemud.service' are
running on that node.

So I wonder - if that is the business logic here - if man
pages which are already are very good, could enhance even
more to explain those bits too... A suggestion.

thanks, L.