which daemon/service for live migration - ?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 12:39:18 UTC 2023

On 17/04/2023 14:31, Peter Krempa wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 14:24:32 +0200, lejeczek wrote:

>>> There is nothing special needed for migration when compared to running a
>>> VM.
>>>
>>> With new daemons you need 'virtqemud' to manage the VM and optionally
>>> 'virtnetworkd' if the VM uses libvirt-managed networks, 'virtstoraged'
>>> if it uses libvirt managed storage, and/or 'virtsecretd' if it uses
>>> secrets storage.
>>>
>>> Configuration of daemon options moved to the appropriate per-daemon
>>> config file.
>>>
>> I have a feeling - have not tested all thoroughly - that specific
>> modules/daemons need to be up & running for specific methods of
>> transportation.
>> Say..
>> migration with 'qemu+tls' fails if receiving node does not have
>> 'virtproxyd-tls.socket' up&running,
>> even though 'virtproxyd.socket' & 'virtqemud.service' are running on that
>> node.
>>
>> So I wonder - if that is the business logic here - if man pages which are
>> already are very good, could enhance even more to explain those bits too...
> The proxy daemon is necessary when you need very old clients which don't
> support the modular topology to work with the modern daemon topology.
>
> That's not a strict migration requirement though as you can run the
> migration from a modern client. In case you are migrating *from* an
> older daemon, that would mean that you can't use '--p2p' mode.

They are all the same - in my case - decently modern - in my
mind - servers & clients.
It is all Centos 9 Stream with everything from default repos
up-to-date.  Are those "old"?

And even if so then my suggestion - to explain & include all
that, that modular relevance to certain operations, in man
pages - I still share.
That will certainly safe admins like myself, good chunks of
time.

thanks, L.