Upgrade machine type during migration

nospam at godawa.de nospam at godawa.de
Tue Mar 21 18:23:26 UTC 2023

Michael Schwartzkopff schrieb:
> It seems there is no possible combination of machine types that is
> compatible for both hosts. The old host only can start rhel8.2 guests,
> the new one only rhel9.0.

that depends on the host, but to be honour, I don't think, that you
can't use different versions of guest-os.

On my Xen- and KVM-environments, we have running CentOS 5 upto 8 guests,
plus some with Ubuntu. No problem with migration from one host to the other.

> Is there a possibility to change the machine type during a migration? Is
> such a migration possible? Or do I have so shut down the guest?

I do not know that, what does the "machine type" mean? Your guest is a
RHEL 8.2? If so you would have to upgrade the guest os to RHEL 9.

But I think this will not solve the problem, according to the error you
get "execute QEMU command 'blockdev-add': Failed to connect socket:
Permission denied" it's more a problem of your new host-machine.

--

kind regards,

thg