auditd netlink headers

Chris Wright chrisw at osdl.org
Fri Apr 29 19:41:04 UTC 2005

* Steve Grubb (sgrubb at redhat.com) wrote:
> On Friday 29 April 2005 15:26, Chris Wright wrote:
> > I'm missing what in auditd allows for continuation of a netlink packet
> > from the kernel.
>
> Nothing does. This was one of my concerns back in December and I even started
> putting code in place to allow multiple packets. It was discussed and I was
> told we aren't sending continuations.

We are (in theory, not sure about practice).  Say a exe path of > 990
bytes, or any payload of that size.  Kernel has this interesting notion of
fragmentation.  I'm not very fond of it.

> Show me how to produce the problem and I'll fix it.

Do a audit_log_format("%s", buffer that's > 998 bytes) in the kernel.
You should get two fragments, and auditd drops them both.  The second
I'm suspecting it's pure luck because  NLMSG_OK() is looking a audit
data as a netlink header.  That data could happen to have a value in the
byte stream that corresponds to nlmsg_len <= 1200, and get printed, but
the first half will certainly be dropped.

thanks,
-chris