Some syscalls not getting records

Kris Wilson krisw at us.ibm.com
Mon Feb 14 20:44:14 UTC 2005

Hi,

The India team was seeing a lack of audit records in some of the syscalls
tests,
so I did a little manual experimenting.  With rules set for entry and exit
for chown
and chmod, I found that I got records for chmod and not chown (same results
if
I only have rules for one or the other).  As root I created a file, su'ed
to ealuser,
and tried to do chmod and chown on that file.  A record was created for
chmod but
not for chown.  I su'ed back to root and successfully executed both
commands;
again a record for chmod but not chown.  We were getting records for chown
on
the previous audit release.  I haven't tried other syscalls to see how many
might
have this problem.

Kris Wilson
Linux Security