auditd design decision

Timothy R. Chavez chavezt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 16:42:05 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've been mucking around with libaudit.c and auditctl.c to add the
ability to insert watch points into the filesystem via the auditctl
command line interface.  But last night in a dream, a giant donut told
me that I should just create a file, watch.list, which auditd will
read when its started and insert any/all new watches into the
filesystem.  This way, when we mount over /etc, and we're watching
/etc/passwd, then when we restart auditd, /etc it will insert a watch
for /etc/passwd on the new device.  We do it this way so we minimize
our impact on kernel code (not sure we want to go screwing around with
mount())  This might be a little cumbersome to do when we wish to
remove watch points, because in theory, we'd want to detect the
absence of /etc/passwd on a restart to know that we must remove its
watch point from the file system.  Does this sound reasonable or do we
need a greater degree of flexibility with the ability to insert/remove
watch points without restarting auditd like we do with rules?

--
- Timothy R. Chavez