[RFC] linux-2.6.10-auditfs-tc1.patch

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Mon Jan 24 03:49:51 UTC 2005

--- Chris Wright <chrisw at osdl.org> wrote:

> You mean BSM format?

BSM is one example. Irix is another. They're
both based on a proposal presented to the POSIX
group by one W. Olin Sibert.

> Yes, I think Serge and I
> talked about it briefly
> a few months ago.  The current method is tokenized
> and reasonably
> extensible.  It's not quite record+tokens like BSM,
> but there's an initial
> record that tells you how many ancillary records
> (items) to expect.

This self describing behavior is what's important.
It allows you to throw in additional process and
file attributes (e.g. MAC labels, ACLs) as
necessary.

> And each record is made up primarily of token=value
> pairs.

Very good. If you document the legitimate tokens
and they kind of information in the value you're
a long way toward a useful audit system.

> I think
> we should provide what makes sense, and do any BSM
> type translation
> in userspace.

A reasonable option. That's how SGI dealt with
a major overhaul to the audit format in Irix6.5

> But having _some_ BSM compatibility
> would be wise, since
> that's what many tools deal with.

At least a description of what's in the records
and tokens to make it easy for an individual who
is inclined to attempt such a translation is in
order.

=====
Casey Schaufler
casey at schaufler-ca.com