Kernel handling of path length

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 19:04:02 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 14:52, Loulwa Salem wrote:
> Error sending watch insert request (File name too long)

Was the file name < 255 bytes?

> I thought the kernel should allow a watch to be inserted ... Is the
> above a correct behavior?

That depends. This is in /usr/include/linux/limits.h

#define NAME_MAX         255    /* # chars in a file name */
#define PATH_MAX        4096    /* # chars in a path name including nul */

if (req->pathlen >= PATH_MAX)
                goto audit_receive_watch_exit;

Looks like it should allow only 4095 byte names through.