syscall filtering on personality

Debora Velarde dvelarde at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 8 21:13:44 UTC 2005

Before we decide to use the pers flag for this, I want to understand
personality more.
I added an additional
      printf("Personality: %ld\n", personality(0xffffffff));
statement in the test case before you make the call
      personality(0x08);

Before you explicitly set personality to 8 in the test, personality is
always=0 whether you compile the test in 64bit or 32bit mode.
Is that the expected behavior?  Can you not tell from personality if
something was compiled in 32bit vs 64bit mode?

-debbie

             Steve Grubb
             <sgrubb at redhat.co
             Sent by:                  Linux Audit Discussion
             linux-audit-bounc         <linux-audit at redhat.com>
             es at redhat.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/08/2005 02:34          Re: syscall filtering on
             PM                        personality

             Please respond to
                Linux Audit
                Discussion

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 15:18, Debora Velarde wrote:
> So it looks like, if you add a syscall by name to auditctl, it always
adds
> only the rule for the 64bit syscall number.

Actually, this should be the syscall number that auditctl was compiled
with.

> Should auditctl add both?

I don't think so. How does it know what personalities you want to watch?

> Or  should auditctl use the pers flag to figure out which syscall number
> add?

How about we make pers take a list? This could be implemented one of 2
ways.
auditctl can generate a rule for each personality. Or with some changes in
the kernel, we can make personality act more like a bit mask so that we
don't
have to load as many rules in the kernel.

Userspace can generate a mask or separate rules. Any preferences?