altering audit_log_start

Timothy R. Chavez tinytim at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 16 18:38:16 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 12:22 pm, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 March 2005 12:58, Timothy R. Chavez wrote:
> > Any opinions on the matter?
>
> It fails for 2 reasons, out of memory and backlog limit. If you're out of
> memory, there's not much you can do. If you hit the backlog limit, there's
> still not much you can do.

You can propigate the -ENOMEM message  To me, that's the correct thing to do.
I think this comes down to "What do you consider good error handling?" When
you can fail out of a function for more then one reason, I think that the
caller is owed an explanation in the form of an errno regardless of whether
or not we're able to recover from the failure.

> Before the flow of control is back in the caller, it will consult
> audit_failure and either panic, print a message, or ignore it. In a CAPP
> setting, I think they will be running in panic mode. Any lost message is a
> problem.

Yes, I suppose this is what's happening.  So I guess it doesn't matter.

> So, if you get a failure returned, they are either in print or ignore mode.
> In either case, they have chosen to live with lost messages.
>
> Out of curiosity...what would you do to handle the backlog limit?

Not sure.  I haven't really given it any consideration.  I suppose I'd pass an
-EAGAIN, sleep, and try again.

> -Steve
>
> --

-tim