untrusted string optimization

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed May 18 12:15:08 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 05:49, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Look at the assembly code. If that change actually does give us one
> fewer compare, then file a GCC bug.

I'd never expect gcc to do that kind of optimization. I have no intention of
taking this up with gcc maintainers at this time. We have a goal of getting
this code ready soon and I don't want to wait for them. The resulting
assembler is 17% shorter.

> Given that it's already upstream, we might as well leave it the way it
> is. As it is, it clearly documents the fact that a space is going to
> cause the string to be quoted.

Documentation is why we have comments. Do you want me to send a patch?