Directory structure auditing - a case

Michael C Thompson mcthomps at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 17 21:58:42 UTC 2005

linux-audit-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 11/17/2005 02:22:15 PM:

> Amy and I talked about this briefly a week or so ago.  Her current
> patch will not support this functionality as-is but we think it is
> possible to develop a follow-up patch that supports watching individual
> directories.   Its probably not possible to audit an entire directory
> structure with a single watch but if one is willing to specify each
> directory to be audited, then we might be able to provide that
> capability.

Would it be possible to have a watch that instructs a parent to watch its
children? Perhaps that is what you are saying here... If so, that would
be a very reasonable action.

What is the limiting aspect that would not allow you to watch deeper than
just 1 set of children? Obviously, this could be set up with some kind of
script or automation on the user's behalf if its not possible, but I can
see
Mont's request being a very common one.

Mike