Perfromance issues

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 18:18:55 UTC 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 13:28, Chris Wright wrote:
> Any micro optimisation needs to be benchmarked to show whether it's really
> useful (I'd expect this one to be in the noise even though assembly
> inspection should show improvement).

I think we have to start thinking about this. People are comparing system
performance with audit disabled and enabled and not compiled in at all. The
hit is significant. We need to see what can be done to make it better.

> IMO, a better choice would be a static inline stub to keep from cluttering
> call sites.  Smth. like:

I like this. Easy to contain the changes without a big change to any patch.
But just to be sure, I'm not talking only about the one case I posted.
syscall_entry & exit are a bigger hit as it affects all syscalls.