Q on audit, audit-syscall

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 00:34:43 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 18:37, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Herbert Rosmanith <kernel at wildsau.enemy.org> wrote:
> > (2) in linux/Documentation/devices.txt I've found an "audit device":
> >
> >          103 block       Audit device
> >                            0 = /dev/audit        Audit device
>
> hm.  I don't think that's true, is it?  If not, can we clean
> it up please?

Hi Andrew,

This looks like some Suse documentation. We've never touched the devices.txt
file since...well...we don't use any devices. But the documentation may be
valid since that may be what they use. You'd probably need to ask someone
that maintains Laus if the documentation is for their audit system and
accurate.

If the devices file is to document only the accepted - in the 2.6 kernel.org
kernel, then we should delete that reference. If its to document what has
been approved, even if its proprietary, then it should be clarified that its
Laus and not the native 2.6 kernel audit system.

Hope this helps...