[RFC: 2.6 patch] kernel/audit.c: remove unused exports

Tony Jones tonyj at suse.de
Fri Apr 21 17:24:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 11:27:55AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > -EXPORT_SYMBOL(audit_log_start);
> > > -EXPORT_SYMBOL(audit_log_end);
> > > -EXPORT_SYMBOL(audit_log_format);
> > > -EXPORT_SYMBOL(audit_log);
> >
> > It would seem useful to allow out of tree modules (even if they never have
> > a goal of submitting to become intree) to log audit data. No?  A reason to
> > prevent it seems utterly lost on me.
>
> Out of tree modules without the goal of being submitted are not a good
> idea.

What a stupid comment (in general and expecially given the nature of the audit
subsystem ). Sorry.

Also, there are probably at present no intree users of audit other than
compiled built-in. I'm guessing by your patch you believe built-in to be the
only valid configuration mode for said users :-)

EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL, sure.

> AppArmor/LSM is a good example what can happen if people don't submit
> their external modules for inclusion in the kernel.

LOL. Thanks for the daily laugh.

Tony