Current capabilities

Michael W Folsom mwfolso at sandia.gov
Wed Dec 13 23:16:27 UTC 2006

I've been lurking on this list for a while now and am a bit confused at
the current state of audit's capabilities.  I've looked at:
	http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/
and still aren't sure if it is capable of doing what I need.  To get to
the point the events I need to record in an audit log are -

1) If someone tries to access an object (file, directory, program) that
they don't have rights to the event needs to be recorded

2) if someone logs into a system and su's to another user or series of
users their actions need to be traceable to the original login user's
id

Can this be done with the current audit system in RHEL4 or will this not
be supported until RHEL5 is released?  Are there any other Linux
distro's that can do this?  If either of these are true where would I
look for information how to get this to work.

Thanks!