devmajor & devminor

Timothy R. Chavez tinytim at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 18 16:30:26 UTC 2006

Hey Mike,

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 09:49 -0600, Michael C Thompson wrote:
> Michael C Thompson/Austin/IBM wrote on 01/18/2006 09:45:17 AM:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I was looking through the auditctl
>
> Applogies, I sent that note a tad prematurely.
>
> As I was saying, I was looking through the auditctl v1.0.3 man pages,
> and I had some questions on some fields auditctl accepts.
> What the devmajor and devminor fields actually entail. My guess is
> hda/hda1 but I am not sure.

Major number is used to select the device driver to call when access a
device file, minor number is a parameter passed to the device driver.  I
believe it's up to the device driver to interpret how the minor number
is used.  Yah?

> Also does the OS personality number (pers) entails?
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hm.  I'm going to assume you're missing a "What" :)  Personalities or
execution domains give Linux the ability to provide limited support for
binaries compiled on different UNIX-like operating systems.

man personality

-tim