Audit Parsing Library Requirements

Klaus Weidner klaus at atsec.com
Fri Mar 10 19:53:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 01:42:00PM -0600, LC Bruzenak wrote:
> That to me means that the field names are not unique; hence my question.

There's two separate issues here:

- audit records that contain the same field name twice for different
  purposes in a single record. I think this happens in a couple of places
  where uid or something like that is re-used. My preference would be to
  consider this a bug in the audit generation that needs fixing, instead
  of having the parser handle it. (As a side note, any remaining tag names
  containing spaces should also be fixed...)

- multiple related audit records for a single event that contain several
  instances of the same tag, for example a syscall such as rename() that
  generates multiple path tags for source and destination. I'm not sure
  how those get handled, is that what this is intended for?

Does the auparse library handle merging of related records for single
events, or is that left for higher level code?

-Klaus