auditctl -l bug?

Michael C Thompson mcthomps at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 29 22:02:42 UTC 2006

linux-audit-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 03/28/2006 06:31:30 PM:

> On Tuesday 28 March 2006 18:23, Mont Rothstein wrote:
> > I am on audit-1.0.12 is this still a bug in this version, and if it is
do I
> > need to worry about it?
> >
> > My output from uname -a is:
> >
> > Linux rheles4rs1.forayadams.foray.com 2.6.9-11.EL #1 Fri May 20
18:17:57
> > EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I think you need to be on the 2.6.9-.16.EL kernel at a minimum. Offhand
> don't remember what's the current RHEL4 kernel, but you need to upgrade
> kernels for it to work right.
>
> -Steve

Hey Steve,

With a yum upgrade against FC5, using "auditctl -l" yields:
# auditctl -l
Error sending rule list request (Operation not permitted)
File system watches not supportedctl -l for the first time yeilds:

After this, any subsequent "auditctl -l" commands will yeild:
# auditctl -l
No rules
File system watches not supported

Am I the only one seeing this, and if so, any suggestions on what I can do
to track this down?

Thanks,
Mike