auditctl usage for filter lists: "user" , "watch" and "exclude"

Michael C Thompson thompsmc at us.ibm.com
Thu May 18 14:47:49 UTC 2006

Hey all,

I'm trying to understand better the user, watch and exclude auditctl
filter lists. I believe I have a reasonable understanding of exclude
from some examples Steve gave (see below), but I have very little idea
of how user is meant to be used, and none about watch.

Any enlightenment will be helpful.

For the exclude list,

exclude,always -F msgtype=SYSCALL

seems to be the only valid structure, where msgtype can be any value
(XXX) for the type in the audit.log? (where the 1st field in the audit
log is type=XXX)

Are there more filters that apply? (and does it have any meaning without
a filter?)

Any examples and/or explanations on "user" and "watch" would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Mike