What is expected: exclude action on the never list?

Michael C Thompson thompsmc at us.ibm.com
Tue May 30 20:45:26 UTC 2006

Hey Steve,

I'm doing some testing (a rare occurrence I know), and I've noticed that
  when the active rules are:

auditctl -a entry,always -S chmod
auditctl -a exclude,always -F msgtype=SYSCALL

The chmod actions are not logged. Now this is what I would expect to
happen when just reading those lines, not knowing about the internal
workings of audit. However, if the rules are

auditctl -a entry,always -S chmod
auditctl -a exclude,never -F msgtype=SYSCALL

the chmod actions are not logged either. I would read the second rule as
saying "do not exclude messages of type SYSCALL". Is this a correct
interpretation of the rule?

Thanks,
Mike