watching files in selinuxfs

Debora Velarde dvelarde at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 27 21:26:29 UTC 2006

When in enforcing mode, I am only able to audit files in selinuxfs by
inode, not by path.    I am running as auditadm_r.

/* Try adding audit rule with -F path */
# auditctl -a exit,always -S open -F path=/selinux/enforce
Error sending add rule request (Permission denied)

# auditctl -l
No rules

/* Try adding audit rule with -w path syntax */
# auditctl -w /selinux/enforce
Error sending add rule request (Permission denied)

/* Try adding audit rule with -F inode */
# ls -i /selinux/enforce
4 /selinux/enforce

# auditctl -a exit,always -S open -F inode=4
# auditctl -l
LIST_RULES: exit,always inode=4 (0x4) syscall=open

Since it is possible to audit the files, this might only require a
documentation change.  Perhaps adding a comment to the auditctl man page
would be sufficient?

-debbie