watching files in selinuxfs

Linda Knippers linda.knippers at hp.com
Wed Sep 27 22:18:45 UTC 2006

Klaus Weidner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:46:52PM -0400, Linda Knippers wrote:
>
>>Debora Velarde wrote:
>>
>>># auditctl -a exit,always -S open -F inode=4
>>># auditctl -l
>>>LIST_RULES: exit,always inode=4 (0x4) syscall=open
>>
>>I wonder what this is actually doing.  An inode number without
>>a file system isn't very interesting.  Should this rule even
>>be accepted?
>

> Well, probably this is telling the audit system to audit access to all
> inodes with the number 4 on any filesystem, and if that's not what you
> want you need to be more specific...

That's exactly what its doing.  Debora verified she's getting the audit
record she's looking for and I verified that you'll also get audit records
for any inode 4, at least on my system.

> Given the Unix philosophy of allowing admins to shoot themselves in the
> foot, would a warning be appropriate?

I would think so.  I'm not exactly sure how you'd specify the file system
you want. Is the major/minor pair?

-- ljk