Audit messages on console

Timothy R. Chavez tim.chavez at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 3 18:54:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 13:26 -0500, Ameel Kamboh wrote:
> I notice that if the auditd service is not running,
> I see all my audit logs go out on the console,
> When I start auditd service they go to the appropriate log file.
> Is there a way to turn this off in the kernel?

Hi Ameel,

If audit is enabled, but auditd isn't running, the audit records will be
delivered to userspace via printk (KERN_NOTICE <5>).  So perhaps you'll
just need to edit /etc/sysconfig and route kern.5 accordingly?  If you
do not wish to generate (nor receive) audit records while auditd is
stopped, disable audit like so,

auditctl -e 0

-tim