Audit rule that applies when auid >= 500

Søren Olesen son at systematic.dk
Mon Aug 6 13:48:41 UTC 2007

Hello,

I would like some of my audit rules to apply when auid >= 500

For example consider this use case:

[root at localhost audit]# auditctl -v
auditctl version 1.3.1

[root at localhost audit]# cat /etc/audit/audit.rules
# This file contains the auditctl rules that are loaded
# whenever the audit daemon is started via the initscripts.
# The rules are simply the parameters that would be passed
# to auditctl.

# First rule - delete all
-D

# Increase the buffers to survive stress events.
# Make this bigger for busy systems
-b 256

# Feel free to add below this line. See auditctl man page

-a exit,always -S socketcall -F a0=4 -F auid>=500 -k eq_greater_than_test

[root at localhost audit]# /etc/init.d/auditd restart
Stopping auditd:                                           [  OK  ]
Starting auditd:                                           [  OK  ]

[root at localhost audit]# auditctl -l
LIST_RULES: exit,always a0=4 (0x4) auid=500 (0x1f4) key=eq_greater_than_test syscall=socketcall

In "/etc/audit/audit.rules" I specify that "auid>=500" but "auditctl -l" shows that the rule matches "auid=500".

What is the syntax for creating a rule that applies when auid>=500 ?

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards

Søren Olesen
Systems Engineer

Systematic Software Engineering A/S