A scriptable utility for setting auid

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 21:29:25 UTC 2007

I needed a way to exclude a very large class of audit traffic [1] in
RHEL 4. It occurred to me that if I could launch a process and give it
the auid of a dedicated user, I could easily filter it out along with
all child processes. With this in mind I wrote the attached simple
wrapper round the audit_setloginuid. It sets its own auid to whatever
you give it, then execs a command.

I'm assuming that this would be better achieved in RHEL 5 using selinux
context filtering. However, I hope to use this tool to achieve useful
auditing on an Oracle RAC node on RHEL 4.

Matt

[1] It turns out that Oracle CSSD, which maintains cluster membership,
is a somewhat retarded shell script. Amongst many other things, it execs
both bash and awk about 8 times per second.
--
Red Hat, Global Professional Services

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490