missing avc message field names

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jan 30 17:28:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:06:06 EST, Joshua Brindle said:

> This is fairly off topic here (selinux list) but I agree with Karl. As a
> recovering admin I think I can say that admins expect to be able to use
> various unix utilities to inspect log files, particularly tail -f.

As a counter-example - lastcomm and last.

If you want to use tail -f, don't run auditd, and use syslog-ng(*) or similar
to send the msgs you're interested in to a file that you can tail -f.

Or you *can* tail -f the file, just be ready to deal with the fact that it
contains binary data, same as the process accounting file and the last-login
file.

(*) syslog-ng can route to logfiles based on a regexp, so you don't have to
send all kernel output to the same file...