Absolute path names in PATH records

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 21:44:49 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 03:44:55 pm Matthew Booth wrote:
> I've hit a hurdle trying to do some post processing on audit output
> because PATH records contain paths relative to the CWD,

Actually, they are exactly what was passed to the kernel. If its an absolute
path, then you will get that and the CWD record is not needed. But if the
path starts with a '.', then you have to pay attention to the CWD record.
Also, if you have a chroot situation, you must pay attention to the CWD
record. The PATH record is from the PoV of the application using files.

> How much effort would likely be involved in making sure these paths were
> always absolute?

We only record what the kernel is working with. There is no chance to do
anything during the recording side and save that for post-processing.