auditd shutdown issue

Bill O'Donnell billodo at sgi.com
Mon May 7 15:18:06 UTC 2007

Probably a FAQ, but I'm having some trouble stopping a system running
auditd.

Installed RHEL5 on X86-64 architecture presumably using default installation
parameters.  Worked fine, booted fine, but when I shutdown (using init 0, halt,
etc.) the system starts scrolling pages and pages of the following messages
when it stops the auditd.  The only way out is to power the system off or
restart auditd.
The system is going down for system halt NOW!
[root at skynet15 ~Shutting down smartd: [  OK  ]
Shutting down Avahi daemon: [  OK  ]
Stopping HAL daemon: [  OK  ]

Any help is appreciated.
Thx -