Format of audit logs

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sun May 13 18:38:39 UTC 2007

On Sunday 13 May 2007 14:17:54 Matthew Booth wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 12:47 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 May 2007 14:02:06 Matthew Booth wrote:
> > > Can anybody point me to a document which describes the format of logs
> > > generated by auditd in RHEL 4.
> >
> > I have not created such a document. I don't know if anyone else has
> > either. I plan to start creating a bunch of documentation for the audit
> > system this summer.
>
> Ok. In the mean time, can you fill me in on exactly how a PATH record is
> added to an event?

If the syscall is of interest and a context has been created, as the syscall
is handled it passes certain checkpoints where we gather information as an
auxiliary record.

> For example, on execve(), why would I get a PATH record for both the binary
> being executed and the ld library? The latter didn't have a name, just an
> inode.

The code passed through one of the hooks? That was probably talked about on
this mail list maybe 2 years ago. I seem to recall something about it.

In essence, as soon as a syscall becomes of interest, all hooks add aux
records to describe different aspects of what happened during the syscall. If
the ld library is in the syscall record, it was used by the kernel during the
execve syscall.