How to capture a login event?

Zachary Shay zachary.shay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 20:35:00 UTC 2007

I am fairly new to the linux audit subsystem, and have a question that
can probably be answered in a one line response.  I'm trying to detect
when logins (successful) and login attempts (unsuccessful) occur using
the auditing subsystem.  Is there an auditing rule that can do this?  My
brief research has shown a syscall, setauid(), available in BSD and
SysV; however, it isn't implemented in linux.  Also, a rule watching the
file "/proc/self/loginuid" will show every time the pam_loginuid.so is
called by a point of entry...unfortunately that isn't useful because the
uid/euid/auid is always bound to root.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Zach