auditspd

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 15:54:54 UTC 2007

Ameel Kamboh wrote:
> I was trying to find more information about auditspd and
> What it is and what it is used for.
> I am trying to evaluate the impact of this as a dispatcher when using other
> 3rd part HIDS tools.

I think you mean audispd. Steve Grubb can probably give you more
complete information as this is an area that has been under active
development and the facilities available depend on the version.

In the current state one connects to a UNIX domain socket
(/var/run/audispd_events) and you read audit records one per line. The
audit records need to be assembled into audit events. The auparse
library is a good tool for this purpose and has a 'feed' interface where
  one can read N bytes off the socket and be called back when a complete
event is seen. There is also a python module supporting this interface.

Steve has also added support for 'plugins', a module which rather than
reading off the audispd socket will be fed the same data via stdin.

I took a look at the audit website http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit
but it looks like some of the info is out of date, especially the real
time link.

What one does with the audit events after you've read them is up to you.

HTH,
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>