stime(2) auditing on x86_64

Todd, Charles CTODD at ball.com
Sun Oct 28 21:51:03 UTC 2007

Okay, I understand the bi-arch thing except one thing: does that mean
the 32-bit compatability layer is ultimately calling the 64-bit version?
If I audit settimeofday(), will it grab both the 64-bit version as well
as the brokered 32-bit stime() call?  My gut tells me yes, but I wanted
to ask just to be sure.

> > A careful observer will note that the CAPP suggested configuration
> > already captures adjtimex and settimeofday.  I just want to pass my
> > test, but is there overlap here that I should push back on?
>
> Not really, I think DISA is telling you the intent and that
> needs to be interpretted/extended to cover bi-arch systems. I
> should probably update the man pages to clarify things
> regarding bi-arch systems. I think Matt Booth pointed out
> something similar a week or two ago.

DISA's intent and their SRRs have always been two completely separate
entities.  Testers only see that I don't have that flag, and less
resourceful security folks won't know how to argue back.  Ultimately, we
need to teach DISA to write better tests.

Thanks for the on-target response.  Sorry to see you were checking
e-mail on the weekend. :-)

Charlie Todd