comparing record ids in auparse

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 17:17:33 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 12:37:08 John Dennis wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 12:23 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 September 2007 12:11:46 John Dennis wrote:
> > > Should two different events from two different hosts be comparable?
> >
> > In a consolidated log, they are not equal. I suppose that should be fixed
> > in the next release.
>
> Right, but the way the cmp operator works is if it's not equal it's
> either less than or greater than,

Yeah, and I want to leave it that way. Its intent is to provide a way to
compare a data type that is not straight forward.

> neither of which is meaningful as a result if they are not from the same
> host, right?

What you seek is a yes/no answer. Are they from the same host? Cause based on
that answer, you may or may not want to compare timestamps.

> At the moment all I can think of is that auparse_timestamp_compare() will
> have to be deprecated and replaced with a different function, unless you
> have a better idea. Suggestions?

It could be incumbent on the programmer to know what's being compared. :)

I think this is a common database programming issue. (auparse is modelled
after database functions.) Suppose you have a POS database. You have sales
information from many stores. If you want to total the sales from a
particular store, you have to select that store within a time range. If you
wanted all sales for a day, you just check timestamps.

IOW, I think the programmer should know what they are trying to do and take
nodes into account. We can easily write a function that takes 2 events and
decides if they are from the same node. That would give you the yes/no
answer.