Format of EXECVE

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 16:50:16 UTC 2007

Firstly, on RHEL4 U5, I've noticed that if an argument has spaces in it,
it won't be pretty printed in the EXECVE record. E.g.:

# /bin/echo foo
EXECVE... argv[1]="foo"

# /bin/echo "foo bar"
EXECVE... argv[1]=1234ABCD

Is that a feature?

Secondly, I noticed that the sequence of messages is:
SYSCALL
EXECVE
CWD
PATH

I'm considering expanding argv[0] of EXECVE to be an absolute path.
However, that would mean either buffering things or moving EXECVE after
the PATH record. Would that break any contract, or reasonable
expectations that anyone's aware of?

Thanks,

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS
Red Hat, Global Professional Services

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490