sudo false negative in audit trails

Todd, Charles CTODD at ball.com
Wed Sep 19 14:24:04 UTC 2007

Greetings,
I'm chasing down a false negative I'm getting in my ausearch output
which makes it look like successful sudo access results in a failed
CRED_ACQ record.  Is anyone else seeing this?  I'm going to list out my
system specs, but please actually look at a sudo run in your system (if
similar) before writing off my non-standard pieces:
- RHEL4u4 (2.6.9.-42.0.2)
- audit-1.0.15
- quest-sudo-1.6.8p12q76
- pam 0.77-66.17

Command:
# ausearch -m CRED_ACQ |grep sudo |tail -1
type=CRED_ACQ msg=audit(1190207432.508:168552): user pid=13971 uid=0
auid=1110 msg='PAM setcred: user=root exe="/opt/quest/bin/sudo"
(hostname=?, addr=?, terminal=pts/1 result=Permission denied)'

They're all like that.  Remember - the sudo actually granted me access
as requested.

/etc/pam.d/sudo looks like this, as generated by quest-sudo:
auth [ignore=ignore success=done default=die] pam_vas3.so create_homedir
account [ignore=ignore success=done default=die] pam_vas3.so
password [ignore=ignore success=done default=die] pam_vas3.so
session [ignore=ignore success=done default=die] pam_vas3.so
create_homedir

For those unfamiliar with Quest's VAS (Vintella Authentication System),
it's basically a commercialized, polished winbindd from Samba 3.  They
have open-sourced their changes to the base package (good citizens) as
they are basically kerberizing some of the tools.  Sudo was modified to
support treating Active Directory roles as Unix groups (e.g.
DOMAIN\Administrators can run shells, but no one else).

I've reviewed the base sudo package source code and could find no
changelog entries to the part that tells PAM whether or not success was
made.  I know that sudo has to tell PAM who tells auditd whether or not
VAS authenticated the user.  Sudo works just find though - it's only the
auditing which is squirelly.

Original sudo page that interacts with PAM:
http://www.sudo.ws/cgi-bin/cvsweb/sudo/auth/pam.c?rev=1.43&content-type=
text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=SUDO_1_6_8p1

Quests modifications to the same file:
http://rc.quest.com/viewvc/sudo/tags/sudo-1.6.8p12q76/auth/pam.c?revisio
n=77&view=markup

So, I'm not so sure it's in sudo, but perhaps some bug between PAM and
sudo that I don't understand.  Can anyone else replicate this?

As for PAM, well, 0.77 is very old, but it's the newest that RedHat has
integrated.  RedHat has not posted any PAM changes related to sudo since
my package above.  At least RHEL5 is using 0.99.

Thanks for your time,
Charlie Todd
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.