get_field_str() and interpret_field() bug with multi-word fields

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 18:52:27 UTC 2008

LC Bruzenak wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 12:49 -0500, Jonathan Kelly wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> When using the python auparse library to call
>> AuParser.interpret_field() on a multi-word field, only the first word
>> in the field is returned.  Using get_field_str() instead of
>> interpret_field() yields the same output.  I have verified that this
>> issue exists in the C library, as well as the Python.  I suspect that
>> this may be an issue for multi-word fields in general, but have not
>> noticed any other than 'op'.
>>

> Line forms here...see the following thread:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2008-June/msg00005.html
>
> LCB.

The line started a while ago ...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2008-January/msg00082.html
(the discussion "While we're at it" is irrelevant to the current topic)

FWIW, I think the proper encoding should be that all string values are
enclosed in double quotes and the string encoding follows the same
backslash escaping defined for the C language which was subsequently
adopted by many other system components which would make it instantly
familiar and parseable by many tools. This would be a very simple and
welcome fix.

More complaints here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2008-June/msg00009.html

--