no logging of successful events?

Brian LaMere brianl at clinicomp.com
Mon Aug 18 19:09:34 UTC 2008

with the following auditd.conf and audit.rules, we generate MASSIVE logs
very quickly.  I don't care about successful audit events; I'm not
required to log them, and there's no way I could have the space for a
year's worth anyway.  So...why is it that "LIST_RULES: exit,always
success!=0 syscall=open" doesn't disregard the successful calls?  I can
still see them if I do an aureport.

The logs are simply too massive to keep; if I set the max_log_file to
much higher than 50 with 99 logs, an aureport takes eons.
Unfortunately, it needs to be that high to save even a day's worth of
logs when they're running certain programs.  Any suggestions?

----------------------
log_file = /var/log/audit/audit.log
log_format = RAW
log_group = root
priority_boost = 3
flush = INCREMENTAL
freq = 20
num_logs = 50
disp_qos = lossy
dispatcher = /sbin/audispd
name_format = NONE
##name = mydomain
max_log_file = 20
max_log_file_action = ROTATE
space_left = 75
space_left_action = SYSLOG
action_mail_acct = root
admin_space_left = 50
admin_space_left_action = SUSPEND
disk_full_action = SUSPEND
disk_error_action = SUSPEND
LIST_RULES: exit,always success!=0 syscall=open
LIST_RULES: exit,always syscall=rmdir,unlink
LIST_RULES: exit,always syscall=acct,swapon,reboot
LIST_RULES: exit,always syscall=setrlimit,settimeofday,setdomainname
LIST_RULES: exit,always syscall=sched_setparam,sched_setscheduler
LIST_RULES: exit,always syscall=chmod,fchmod,chown,fchown
LIST_RULES: exit,always syscall=lchown
LIST_RULES: exit,always watch=/etc/auditd.conf perm=rwxa
LIST_RULES: exit,always watch=/etc/audit.rules perm=rwxa