prelude events

LC Bruzenak lenny at magitekltd.com
Mon Aug 25 23:41:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 17:09 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2008 16:47:38 LC Bruzenak wrote:
> > > Yes, you'd add  -k ids-file-  and the one of: info, low, med, or high
> > > depending on how severe you consider this access.
> >
> > ...and of course then that made me think if we can do this for the file
> > watches, why not for user-submitted events also?
>
> The problem is that user space originating events do not have keys. So, there
> is no way to setup audit policy from the audit configuration. You could try
> adding them in the message being sent to the kernel. But this then means its
> hardcoded and no one can change it to something lower if they don't like it.

Yes.

> > Some of these I am already sending into the prelude system via patched
> > audisp-prelude.c code, but I'd prefer to rip out this hack and instead just
> > have a matching key identified.
>
> There is a lot of specialized information aside from the key that must go into
> an alert. Source and target of attack must be clearly identified, impact,
> severity, category, etc. Not sure how to get that from a generic key. Any
> ideas along this line?

I think it would be quite difficult to figure out how to get that
information into/out of a key...

I only really care about the source (UID/GID/PID/processname) and the
audit text and serial number (added as additional data), assuming the
severity is high enough, to go into the prelude event.

I guess the option still exists for users to just add their own
customized prelude plugin; essentially emulating all the same things
your code already does. But I didn't relish having to duplicate all the
administration and the code.

Along those lines, I was thinking that another option would be a
separate pass-through event, meant only for the plugin(s). If the event
was free-form from the audit perspective (maybe a structure with length
+ buffer), but its format was part of the audisp-plugins RPM, it would
probably work.

In the end, this is what I'm really doing - sending a pass-through to
the established audit->prelude connection. I'm probably misusing the
intent to my own ends...

Thx,
LCB.

--