audit 1.6.7 questions

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 22:33:41 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 17:04:12 Steve Grubb wrote:
> > Events: In the audisp code I see most of the AUDIT_ANOM "biggies" but
> > not all (from libaudit.h, e.g. AUDIT_ANOM_ROOT_TRANS)?
>
> That one is still TBD. I needed the define in libaudit.h so I could use it
> later. I have to patch a few user space utilities to send the event.

It occurred to me that I didn't fully answer this. The plugin right now is
intended to be a usable proof of concept test. I only wanted to cover
the "easy" ones. The other anomaly events would be covered in future versions
of the plugin, but they generally require some work to get functioning. At
this point, I'm interested in feedback and maybe some ideas about what kinds
of alerts people might be interested in.

One thing I ran into writing my plugins is that I think IDMEF is really more
suited to NIDS rather than HIDS. I have been discussing this with the prelude
developers and will write up my findings later. To really do a good job, I
think the standard needs to change a little.

For example, when you get an AVC, you need to see the syscall record in order
to decide what the impact really is. Without the syscall record, you don't
know if the system was in permissive mode at the time if the syscall. So you
cannot conclude whether they succeeded or failed. The IDMEF standard has no
way to say the result was indeterminate.

So, it may take a while to get this plugin exactly the way I want since it may
take some standards work to be able to express all the information that an
audit system has available.