Linux-audit Digest, Vol 40, Issue 9

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 12:27:14 UTC 2008

kunal chandarana wrote:
> In audit logs fields are generated for specific type. Each log has
> different type and depending on type there are different fields shown in
> audit.log files. Is there a way to map this audit type to the fields.
>
> Like if i have type=XYZ then log will contain n fields. So how to find
> these N fields.?

I'm not sure if you're asking how do you know which fields will appear
for a specific type or how can you easily parse the fields.

If it's the former there is no such mapping I'm familiar with, there is
however a dictionary with all the possible fields in the set of all
messages (http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-parse.txt)

The field names are a product of the current kernel and the auditing
messages it happens to contain. I don't think anybody has gone through
the source code to produce such a map. In addition the message are
subject to change based on the discretion of kernel developers. This is
one of the frustrations of the current auditing system. However, the
messages have been fairly stable so over time it's possible to get a
pretty good idea. The source code in the kernel which produces the
messages is pretty regular, I don't think it would be too hard to write
a tool which scanned the kernel source tree and produced such a map, but
I'm not aware of such a tool ATM.

If you want to find the fields in the sense of parsing then the auparse
library will be of help.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>