audit string encoding is broken (Was: auparse question)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 20:07:18 UTC 2008

Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> One usual way of handling spaces is to use the hex-encoded form for
> field representation, and decode it either using
> auparse_interpret_field() (which hard-codes the ways to decode specific
> field types, and does nothing for unknown types), or in the application.
> The other usual way of handling spaces is to just write them in the
> record and let the applications deal with them however they want (you
> can get the raw record text out of auparse, after all).
>
> I plan to make auparse more useful in this regard, but the best I can
> hope for is adding more special cases for specific field and record
> types.  A long-term, future-proof solution must involve some changes to
> the record format definition.

I wonder how many times on this list someone has pointed out that the
encoding
of string values in the audit subsystem is BROKEN?

How many times will people stumble on this before it gets fixed?

String encoding has to get fixed in the kernel first because that is
where the string
values are generated.

There have been numerous emails on this list explaining the problem in
detail
and numerous proposals for easy fixes.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>