audit_get_reply() returns EBADE

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 21:04:46 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 06:26:44 Matthew Booth wrote:
> A few times now I've seen audit_get_reply() return EBADE (Invalid
> exchange). This coincides with a particular job which results in an
> output rate of about 5.5k records/sec. The system remains responsive,
> and it always fixes itself when the rate comes back down again.
>
> What exactly does EBADE mean in this context?

No idea. A quick grep in the kernel source shows it only comes from a couple
places. bluetooth, sparc, and dlm are the main places. none of which seem to
be netlink related.

> I assume I'm dropping audit messages from the kernel while this is going on.
> Is there any way I can determine how many?

I think you'd have to patch the kernel to prove that to yourself.

> Is there any way to tune things to survive this temporary stress event?

I can't see how you are getting this in the first place. Have you grepped
around to see where its coming from?